Why We Made a Wipe That Won’t Last
A wipe sustainability refresher
by Coterie Team
Did you know most traditional baby wipes are made with plastic fibers that can take up to 100 years to break down in a landfill?
Many of us at Coterie are parents, so preserving the planet for our children is one of our top priorities, along with our babies’ immediate health and comfort. Looking towards the future, we set out to make a softer wipe with gentler ingredients that won’t be around for years after use.
That’s why we made sure our wipes are:
- Cruelty free, plastic-free, and made with sustainably sourced, 100% biodegradable, plant-based fibers that decompose naturally within weeks (about 12 to be more precise—that's half the time of an orange peel!).
- Hypoallergenic; free of alcohol, fragrance, dyes, parabens, phthalates, and hundreds of other potentially harmful chemicals.
- Certified by the FSC® (Forest Stewardship Council), an international non-profit that promotes responsible management of the world’s forests via timber certification.
- Up to 30% larger than average wipes so you can use fewer per mess, with a gentle-yet-effective cleansing solution made of 99% purified water plus 1% ingredients like Vitamin E and Glycerin for babies’ delicate skin.
- EWG Verified™, meaning the ingredients in The Wipe meet The Environmental Working Group's strict criteria for transparency and health.
- TÜV Certified; TUV-Austria is a leader in auditing, testing, inspection, and sustainability certification. Our wipes received their OK-Home Compost seal*, meaning they're compostable in home-compost conditions more difficult than industrial facilities.
*Certification does not cover potentially toxic + non-biodegradable residues from product use.