How Many Wipes Do You Need for a Baby?

The answer depends on the number of daily changes

by Coterie Team

When you welcome your little one into the world, the last thing on your mind is how many baby wipes and diapers you’ll need. In fact, there are many factors regarding your newborn’s hygiene that catch most parents by surprise.

For example, your newborn’s skin is so delicate in the first few months that experts don’t recommend bathing your baby with soap. When you’re stocking up on what you’ll need to keep your little one safe and clean, opt for baby wipes that don’t have soap in their formula for the safest baby wipes to use.

No matter your baby’s stage in development, it’s important to buy gentle baby wipes to avoid irritating their skin or causing rashes. To get an accurate idea of how many wipes you’ll need on a monthly basis, let’s break down the math. On average, you’ll need one to two wipes per wet diaper change and an average of three to seven wipes per soiled diaper change.

How often you need to change your baby’s diaper depends on their age:

  • Newborns (zero to two months) generally need to be changed anywhere between ten to twelve times per day. You may need between twenty-five and thirty-five wipes per day.
  • Infants (two to twelve months) typically need to be changed eight to ten times per day, putting you somewhere around twenty-eight wipes per day.
  • Toddlers (thirteen months to three years old) usually need six to eight diaper changes a day, requiring between fifteen and twenty wipes per day.

Each child is unique, so you may not use as many wipes as you thought you would on some days, and other days, you may feel like there aren’t enough baby wipes in the world!

How Many Wipes Should You Stock Up On?

With the above figures in mind, most parents purchase baby wipes with the intention of stocking up for the month. You can determine how many wipes you’ll need based on the age of your baby.

Newborns generally have anywhere between 300 to 360 diaper changes per month, resulting in using 750 to 900 wipes per month on average. Infants have between 240 to 300 diaper changes per month, using between 600 and 750 wipes during that time. Toddlers usually have between 180 to 240 diaper changes per month, only using 450 to 600 wipes.

How to Choose the Best Baby Wipes

Your baby wipes often get used for more than just your baby’s diaper changes–you use them on your hands to quickly wipe off after changes and they’re used during unexpected messes when you’re out and about.

Because wipes are your ultimate tool, you need to invest in a wipe that gives you more. At Coterie, we’ve engineered a baby wipe that is cleaner, softer, and up to 30% larger than average wipes without irritating your baby’s delicate skin.

More Surface Area

With larger baby wipes, you use fewer. If your head is still spinning at the idea of purchasing nearly a thousand baby wipes per month in the first two months, you can rest easy knowing that The Wipe can keep you under that threshold.

Because our wipe is up to 30% larger than the average baby wipe, you can do more with less. That means less time throwing out used wipes and reaching for more, and faster diaper changes so you can get back to cuddling, lullabies, and tummy time.

Plastic-Free and Hypoallergenic

A study conducted by the International Water Services Flushability GroupOpens in a new tab. found that 75% of wipes are made with durable, synthetic materials. In a 2019 studyOpens in a new tab., the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) found that 90% of wet wipes contain some amount of plastic.

Plastics can contain hormone-disrupting chemicals, such as BPA, that can be absorbed through your baby’s skin. When your little one’s sensitive skin absorbs these chemicals, it can potentially have long-term health effects.

Coterie’s The Wipe is made of 100% plant-based, plastic-free, biodegradable fibers. Our wipes are 99% water, with the remaining 1% being gentle skincare ingredients that keep your baby happy and comfortable during diaper changes.

A Wipe You Can Feel Good About

The Wipe is a hypoallergenic solution to your changing table woes, and is engineered in a way that you can feel good about. Our wipes are Forest Stewardship Council-certified, meaning our plant-based materials are sourced responsibly from sustainably managed forests. The Wipe also has the National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance for newborns and eczema-prone skin.

We are the only diaper brand to publish our Safety Reports, making The Wipe the optimal choice for the eco-conscious parent who wants the best for their little one!